WE17 is here! We have SWEsters from all across the country and the world flocking to Austin, Texas to enjoy a few days really teaching us what SWE is all about. As you finalize your packing tonight, if you haven’t already taken off, here’s a quick checklist that may be of help.
- Your plane ticket: make sure to finalize your departure and returning flights, and transportation to/from the airport. Be sure to check out any traffic or weather that may impact your travel.
- Review of the Liquids Rule: depending on your airline, be sure that you are aware of what you are allowed to bring in your carry-on, or you may want to consider checking in luggage.
- If your hotel offers a shuttle service, check out the schedule. Lyft also provides an option for you to schedule a pick-up; when using Lyft, there is an additional charge for them to pick you up from the airport.
- It may also be easier for you to print out your resumes (recommended at least 20 if you plan to attend the career fair) ahead of time.
- Ensure your hotel reservations are still good!
- Double check your luggage sizes: backpack, duffle bags, carry-ons, suit cases, etc. and verify your airline’s policies. Some airlines also have weight-based policies.
- Don’t forget your ID, passport, credit card, wallet, itinerary, insurance card, and emergency contact information.
What to Pack:
- Toothbrush, toothpaste, makeup remover wipes (if necessary), face-wash, shampoo/conditioner, etc. Hotels provide small samples of them, so if they’re not enough, either pack travel-sized ones or you could stop by a convenience store in Austin. All-in-one shampoos and conditioners are great because of their many uses and you save space!
- Any medication that may be necessary. If you have allergies or a medical condition, be sure to alert your fellow travel companions of an emergency situation and how best to respond.
- Backpack or purse(s) to carry your stuff around with.
- 2-3 pairs of shoes
- 2-3 business casual outfits and at least 2 personal outfits depending on what you’re doing.
- Hair ties, brush/combs, hair products, safety pins, or clips as needed.
- Lotion, perfume, chapstick
- Feminine hygiene products
- Cotton balls, Q-tips, facial tissues
- Socks and other essentials
- Glasses or contacts and contact fluids, if applicable.
- Pens/pencils, paper, and some folder or portfolio with a hard surface to write on.
- A light coat, if necessary
- Travel pillow and/or earbuds
- Cell phone charger, adapter, headphones, laptop and laptop charger.
- Reusable and empty water bottle (refill after going through TSA).
- Optional: again, your hotel will provide towels and if they don’t provide fresh towels as needed, you may want to bring your own.
- Tip: save space in your luggage and WEAR some of those clothes to the airport. Or you could also pick up Spacebags from Target or Walmart; there’s a variety of bags, and the most travel-friendly Spacebag is the one where you can roll the air out of it.
- Don’t forget that you’ll get to pick up free swag at the conference or souvenirs so account for that space in your luggage!
- Be aware of your surroundings and travel smartly. Uber/Lyft drivers and other locals are great resources on knowing what to expect around Austin.
- Take your time in packing, traveling, and getting to places. Make sure you double-check your hotel when leaving – it’d suck to return home and realize you left something there.
Now some of these things may be overkill, but simply recommendations for a comfortable time. Safe travels everyone!