The deadline for submitting nominations is January 14, 2018 by 11:59 pm PT. Download the Nomination Packet to prepare a submission. For an overview of additional dates and deadlines, please the Region A Election Information.
The dissolution of permanent Region boundaries was approved by the SWE Senate on Saturday, October 28 with the adoption of S-1803 “Senate and Regions” Proposal to Amend Bylaws. This action means that each Region will be tasked with hosting their final election during FY18 in accordance with Society and Region Bylaws:
- Each Region will elect a Senator for a three-year term commencing on July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2021
- Regions A, C, E, G, and I will elect a Representative to the Society Nominating Committee for a two-year term commencing on July 1, 2018 through June 30, 2020
The Governance Structure Implementation Plan issued on September 20, 2017 provides additional context.
- A.6 Action: Provide guidance to the Region and International Nominating Committees regarding the election of their FY19 Senator
- B.5 Action: Select final Senators and Nominating Committee Representatives for FY19
Nominees should possess the five SWE leadership competencies:
- Self-Management and Development
- Business Acumen
- Coaching, Mentorship and Sponsorship
- Leadership Abilities
The ideal candidate would have the skills/competencies listed below (in alignment with the SWE Leadership Competency Model):
- Strong and consistent communication skills (in-person and virtual, presentations and public speaking)
- Champion for diversity and inclusion internally within the Society as well as externally in the engineering community
- Ability to listen and distill large amounts of information
- Availability for multi-year commitment
- Business Acumen
- Strategic planning experience and/or strategic thinking skills
- Knowledge of SWE and/or other non-profit organizations
- Leadership Abilities
- Leadership and change management experience
- Working knowledge of SWE’s Core Value on Inclusive Environment and alignment to SWE’s Diversity Principles
- Mentoring, Coaching and Sponsorship
- Seeking and/or being a mentor, coach, or sponsor
- Diverse networks
- Senators are responsible for:
- Charting the strategic direction of SWE by developing and adopting long-range goals for the Society.
- Developing and/or adopting proposed changes to the Society bylaws, policies, and procedures that are in line with the strategic plan.
- Conducting essential dialogue with Society membership on long-term trends and issues of common interest.
- Senators must be voting members of the Society (except Special Senators) and will serve for a term of three (3) fiscal years.
- Senators should anticipate participating in a lot of virtual meetings and communications
- The role typically requires the following time commitments:
- Monthly Conference Calls – 1 hour each
- Participation in 1 Sub-Team
- Annual Strategic Planning (2 mandatory face-to-face meetings, calls 1-5 hours per month)
- Strategic Initiatives (Variable)
- Committees Strategic Planning (Variable)
- Communications (Variable)
- Face-to-Face Senate Meetings – At least 2 per fiscal year
- Annual Conference (Fall; 3 days – Mandatory)
- Winter Senate Meeting (Winter; 1 day – Mandatory)
- WE Local (Spring; 1 day – Currently not required, but highly recommended)
- Offline discussions on bylaws amendments and motions (Variable)
- Active communication with Society membership
- Funding for travel is currently available through SWE for the Winter Senate Meeting and Annual Strategic Planning Sub-Team face-to-face meetings. Future funding to be determined.
- These roles and responsibilities are subject to change by the Senate leadership team as the governance changes continue to be implemented.
REPRESENTATIVE TO THE SOCIETY NOMINATING COMMITTEE
The nominating committee member must be a voting member of the Society at the start of the fiscal year when he/she will serve and is elected for a two-year term. “In order to be eligible to serve on the nominating committee, a member must have had recent experience on a Society level.” The member will have an interest in shaping the future of SWE and possesses knowledge of SWE bylaws, procedures and the Strategic Plan, as well as, the SWE Leadership Competency Model. The role typically requires time dedicated for 1-2 phone calls per month, regular work via email and a significant time evaluating candidates and providing feedback to the committee during the months of October-January when phone calls increase to 1-3 calls per week. Members need to be active on the nominating committee by attending most teleconferences, participating in email discussions, reading appropriate documents, and providing input via email in advance of any meetings that they know they will miss. It is understood that everyone will not make every meeting. Committee members need to solicit information on the candidate as needed prior to discussions on the slate. It is the member’s responsibility to be able to present unbiased candidate pros and cons, not necessarily to be an advocate for every nominee. Attendance at the Society annual conference (at your own expense) is strongly encouraged, although not required. Members should assist by actively engaging with qualified candidates to encourage them to apply for open positions. The nominating committee members need to use discretion because the nature of meetings, discussions and email communications are highly confidential and must not be shared outside of the nominating committee.
While each Region Nominating Committee is responsible for ensuring that qualified candidates are slated for each position, it is the responsibility of all members to identify and bring forth qualified candidates to ensure strong leadership for the future of the organization during this governance transition time.
Region A Nominating Committee Chair, Jennie Montano: NomComm-A@swe.org
Please take some time to consider who you feel has the skills and qualifications to best lead the Society through these roles. You may submit a nomination for someone else or yourself. The deadline for submitting nominations is January 14, 2018 by 11:59 pm PT. Nominees may apply only in the Region where his/her membership resides.